52 Tips for Losing Weight
A Tip a Week
If you add one of these tips a week to your daily routine, in one
will have developed some very healthy habits!
1. Eliminate one tablespoon of fat a day and you will lose 10
pounds in a
2. Avoid strange fad diets -- if you can't eat that way for the
rest of your
life, don't waste your time or your health.
3. Limit alcohol consumption -- each serving contains 100 to150
4. Eat fruit at least twice a day.
5. Keep a food diary about your food choices, indicating how
hungry you are
each time you eat. Pay particular attention to your level of
hunger when you
6. Perform aerobic exercise a minimum of 30 minutes three times a
this on your food diary. Gradually increase the length and
frequency of your
7. Weigh yourself no more than twice a week.
8. Give yourself a non-food reward for every 5 pounds lost.
9. Slow down your eating speed -- make meals last at least 20
eating with the other hand or taking a sip of water between bites.
10. Use smaller plates.
11. Bring your lunch to work at least three times a week.
12. Start to strength train twice a week. Building muscle
metabolism and forces your body to use fat, not muscle, when
back on calories.
13. Stop eating while watching television.
14. Have someone else put away leftovers.
15. Buy a good low-fat, low-calorie cookbook or magazine
16. Try two new reduced-calorie recipes a month.
17. Eat breakfast daily.
18. Don't read while eating.
19. Have a sweet treat once a week.
20. Keep healthful snacks at home and at work.
21. Limit your cheese consumption to reduce fat and saturated fat
cheese and lunchmeat with less than 5 grams of fat per ounce.
22. Add calorie counting or fat-gram counting to your food diary
for a few
weeks if your weight loss is slowing down. Maybe you're missing
23. Substitute herbs and spices for salt.
24. Shop for food when you are not hungry, and use a shopping
25. Replace ground beef with ground turkey or soy crumbles in
dishes such as
spaghetti. Don't skip the protein in your meals; find a leaner
26. Eat three vegetables a day.
27. Always eat sitting down.
28. Request that your family and friends respect your efforts to
and get fit -- beware of loving "sabotage."
29. Take a walk when you're stressed or angry.
30. Eat two dairy products a day -- be aware of your calcium
low-fat or nonfat dairy products to reduce fat calories.
31. Order dressings and sauces on the side and apply them with a
32. Increase your fiber intake -- chose whole-grain breads,
cereals and pasta
products, legumes, and raw fruits and vegetables.
33. Add slow-down food to your meals -- crunchy vegetables, a
large glass of
water, hot soup or beverages, or fresh fruit to fill you up.
34. Cook with chicken broth, nonstick cooking spray, wine or
35. Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
36. Shrink portion sizes of meats and starches, and pile on the
37. Ask how the food is prepared when ordering in a restaurant.
38. Choose low-fat frozen yogurt or frozen juice bars instead of
Be careful of the portion size -- these foods still have calories!
39. Select clear broth- or tomato-based soups over white soups.
40. Keep the junk foods out of sight in your home and workplace.
41. Take walking shoes or a jump rope with you when you travel to
with your exercise.
42. If you're getting off track, try to pre-plan your food intake
next three days by writing it down.
43. Buy frozen diet dinners with 10 grams of fat or less and 800
of sodium or less.
44. Avoid batter coating or breading.
45. Use two egg whites in baking instead of one whole egg.
46. Stretch during television commercials -- arm circles, leg
47. Eliminate the butter on your rolls or popcorn.
48. Learn to say "no" gracefully when a friend or relative offers
49. Choose pizza with vegetable toppings rather than high-fat
meats, such as
sausage and pepperoni. Ask for less cheese. Have you ever tried
50. Choose cooking techniques that keep fat to a minimum, such as
grilling, broiling, roasting or steaming.
51. Add more low-fat soy products to your diet for the soy protein
52. Forgive yourself when you slip -- and make the next food
choice a healthy